An Easy Turkey Rub Packed Full Of Flavor
Mix together thoroughly the following:
- 2 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp. kosher (or sea) salt
- 1 tbsp. Coarse Ground Pepper (fresh peppercorns for max flavor)
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika (this stuff is magic)
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder (not salt)
- 2 tsp. Ground Mustard
Store in a tightly sealed container, and refrigerate, to maintain freshness, for up to 4 months.
Get under the turkey's skin! The only effective way to spice a turkey, to impart the wonderful flavors to the meat, is to put the rub under the skin. Otherwise you will just have great tasting skin!
- Lift the skin starting from the butt end. Use your fingers to part the skin over all of the meatiest parts, including as far as you can go with the legs.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the rub in the cavity.
- Generously, and evenly as possible, place the rub under the loosened skin. I know, it's messy.
- Use the olive oil to coat the outside of the bird; sprinkle rub on the skin.
- Apply generously over the bird.
- Truss it 'n cook it!
If you would like to know more on how to use a dry rub, or for more "tried 'n true" dry rub recipe winners, go to our Dry Rub Recipes page.
Our Smoked Turkey Recipe is magic! Here are the secrets to melt-in-your-mouth, smoke flavored, roasted turkey.
Return from Savory Turkey Rub to Home